Home Site Search Media Releases Contact Us
Missouri Housing Development Commission  

About MHDC
Rental Production
Asset Management
Lender Resources
R.E. Professionals
Community Initiatives
Section 3
COVID Assistance


  Asset Management > Performance Based Contract Administration


> Voucher Processing


The Voucher Processing Team is responsible for processing Project Based Section 8 Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) vouchers. Owners must submit a voucher to MHDC by the 10th day of the month prior to month for which payment is requested. Vouchers are electronically transmitted monthly through the Tenant Rental Assistance Certification System (TRACS).


bulletVoucher Review and Approval ( Insuring Payment by the 1st )

MHDC must verify the accuracy of the voucher prior to paying the owner. Vouchers submitted to MHDC by the 10th of the month will be processed so that monthly payments are made to the owner no later than the first business day of the month. A signed copy of the paper vouchers, Form HUD-52670 is also required; this can be sent by fax or mail. Owner submissions received after the 10th of the month are reviewed and paid within 20 days of receiving the TRACS voucher.

MHDC will monitor the data in TRACS for current form HUD-50059s for changes including: verifying through TRACS that the amount of the HAP payment for each tenant is correct; verify that all recertification's are completed by the owner in a timely manner and entered into TRACS; verify that the HAP payment request does not include any units that Section 8 assistance has been abated; verify the accuracy of any adjustment from prior months payment; verify pre-approval of Section 8 Special Claims.
bulletRent and Utility Allowance Changes

MHDC will verify that approved rent and utility allowance changes are reflected in the Section 8 HAP voucher, MHDC will verify that the rent/utility allowance change was implemented accurately. The increase can be submitted on the first voucher submitted after receipt of the owner’s executed Rent Schedule (form HUD-92458).
bulletDiscrepancy Notification

MHDC will review the voucher and make any necessary adjustments or corrections.

If the amount that is approved is different from the amount that is requested by the owner, a Monthly Voucher Report will be faxed to the owner with a description of the discrepancy.
bulletOwner Payments

MHDC will pay the amount requested on the HAP voucher via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) no later than the first business day of the month or within 20 days of receipt of the voucher if the voucher is submitted after the 10th day of the month.
bulletSpecial Claims: Damage, Unpaid Rent, and Vacancy Loss (FAQ for Special Claims)

The owner may claim reimbursement from MHDC for damage, unpaid rent and vacancy loss on covered units. Claims should be submitted to MHDC on form HUD-52670-A Part 2 and form HUD-52671-C. Eligible claims must be pre-approved by MHDC prior to being submitted with the owner’s monthly voucher.

Special Claims Review and Approval

MHDC will analyze, verify, approved or deny owner claims in accordance with HUD regulations using TRACS and the information provided by the owner. Special Claims must be submitted within one year after the unit becomes available for occupancy, (the year allows time for owners/agents to collect monies due). The following documentation must accompany all special claims submitted.


The following documentations must accompany all special claims submitted. All claims must be submitted for approval within 180 days from that date the vacated unit is available for occupancy.

Damages and Unpaid Rent Claims:


bulletForm HUD-52671-A
bulletCertified letter to tenant detailing the unpaid rent and other charges
bulletVerification of security deposit, and disposition statement
bulletDocumentation that the matter was turned over to a collection agency and that the agency has attempted to collect the debt

Vacancy Claims:


bulletForm “HUD-52670-A Pt 2”
bulletForm “HUD-52671-C
bulletDocumentation of the status of the waiting list and the outcome of applicants that were contacted
bulletVacancy reconditioning log or other maintenance record showing the move-out date
bulletIf move-out is due to Unit Transfer:
1. Documentation stating the reason for the transfer to another unit
2. Evidence the security deposit was transferred, or a new security deposit was secured

Additional information regarding General Guidelines for Processing Special Claims can be found in the HUD Occupancy Handbook 4350.3 Rev-1 Chapter 9-14.


bulletImplementation of HUD Handbook 4350.3 REV-1 - Occupancy Requirements of Subsidized Multifamily Housing Programs


bullet HUD Memorandum From: Stillman D. Knight, Jr., HUD Deputy Assistant Secretary
bullet Exhibit A - Crosswalk Between Old Handbook and Revised Handbook
bullet Exhibit B - New Policies Introduced
bullet Tenant Reporting Optimum Compliance

Owners and agents must ensure that 100 percent of the tenant certifications (MAT 10) used to support the monthly Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) vouchers have been transmitted to MHDC for review and transmission to the HUD TRACS data base. In the future, HUD will impose penalties if vouchers are submitted for tenants that do not have a current certification in the HUD TRACS Certification Query.

Owners and Agents should monitor compliance now so they will not be penalized in the future. This data can be reviewed in the HUD Secure Systems TRACS menu. If you are not currently registered to access the HUD Secure System, you can apply for user ID and Password at http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/mfh/trx//trxsum.cfm


Contact Information

bulletFor more information contact MHDC in St. Louis at (314) 877-1350


|- Privacy Statement -|- Content Disclaimer -|- Missouri Housing Development Commission -|